Stove top Mac and Cheese with Sausage and Peas
This recipe for Stove top Mac and Cheese with Sausage and Peas is an easy, kid-friendly dinner idea for a busy night and the leftovers work well for lunch!
- 6 oz pasta, uncooked
- 1 ½ Tbsp butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cup peas, frozen or canned
- 3 chicken sausages (precooked)
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
- 6 oz cheddar cheese, grated
- ¾ cup skim milk
- ½ – 1 cup pumpkin
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In the same (now empty) pan, melt butter.
- Add onion, garlic, peas and sausage and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, milk and seasonings and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cheese and ½ cup pumpkin.
- Stir in noodles, add more pumpkin if desired and adjust salt.