Rainbow Buddha Bowls for Kids
Written by COA Nutrition Team On March 10, 2023
A mix of grains, protein, and veggies (both cooked and fresh) allows your kids to have a bowl full of options to explore. Plus, these Buddha bowls help you eat the rainbow!
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 stalk broccoli
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium bell pepper, yellow
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped cabbage, red
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 can drained chickpeas (garbanzo beans), canned
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat oven to 425° F.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Set aside chickpeas to dry.
- Chop sweet potato into 1/2-inch cubes and broccoli into small florets. Toss onto a large baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Toss chickpeas with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, and salt. Pour onto the baking sheet alongside the broccoli and sweet potato. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through, until veggies are softened to liking.
- Meanwhile, boil quinoa with 2 cups of water according to package directions until cooked.
- Make avocado dressing by combining avocado, lemon juice, garlic cloves, salt, cumin and water in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Chop cucumber, pepper, cabbage, and cherry tomatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Assemble bowls: 1 heaping scoop quinoa topped with roasted and fresh veggies, dressed with a dollop of avocado dressing and sunflower seeds.
- Pour the flour mixture into wet ingredients. Gently fold the ingredients together until just combined. Do not overmix. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, filling 3/4 way to the top.
- Place the muffin pan into the oven for 12-15 minutes or until just golden.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transitioning the muffins onto a cooling rack.