Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
This big batch of egg and sausage breakfast burritos are perfect for feeding a crowd or keeping on hand for busy weekday mornings.
- 4 cups frozen tater tots
- Seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs. bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 16 eggs
- ⅔ cup half and half
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 20 8-inch flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese (Cheddar, Colby Jack, whatever you prefer)
- Cooking spray
- Spread the tater tots in a single layer on a cookie sheet and sprinkle a little seasoned salt over the top. Bake them according to the package instructions. Let them cool on the stove top while you finish preparing the other fillings.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil to the pan. Add the bulk sausage and break it up with the back of a spoon as it cooks. Continue to sauté the sausage until it begins to develop a deep toasted look, not just simply “not pink”. Drain the fat off and return the sausage to the stove.
- Drain the can of tomatoes to remove as much liquid as you can. Stir the tomatoes & chilies in with the sausage and sauté for 1 minute. Remove the sausage and tomatoes to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs and half and half. Sprinkle in a little salt and fresh cracked pepper and whisk to combine. Pour them into the same skillet you browned the sausage in and reduce the heat to medium. Stir the eggs and cook them until they are scrambled and no longer wet.
- Add the scrambled eggs to the bowl with the sausage and stir to combine.
- Set up your assembly line with the tater tots, sausage mix, shredded cheese, and tortillas:
On each tortilla add 5-6 tater tots, 1 tablespoon of cheese, and ⅓ cup of the sausage + egg mixture.
Fold the sides slightly towards the center and then roll the tortilla lengthwise.
- Line up the assembled breakfast burritos on a large cookie sheet leaving a finger’s width between each one. Lightly spritz some cooking spray over the top and bake for 12 – 15 minutes or until the tops are just lightly toasted.
- Serve immediately or… Freeze the Breakfast Burritos: Let the toasted breakfast burritos cool completely. Wrap each one individually in a bit of aluminum foil and then store the burritos in a large freezer bag for up to 1 month.