The Best Black Bean Burgers
Grill or bake the black bean burgers and enjoy on a bun, plain, or on a salad. They’re big, thick, and hearty and even meat eaters LOVE these.
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained, rinsed, and patted dry
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup finely chopped bell pepper (½ of a pepper)
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion (½ of a large onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 Tablespoon)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup bread crumbs or oat flour
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons ketchup, mayo, or BBQ sauce
- pinch salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spread beans evenly onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until slightly dried out.
- Meanwhile, sauté olive oil, chopped pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat until peppers and onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes. Gently blot some of the moisture out. Place in a large bowl or in a food processor with the remaining ingredients. Stir or pulse everything together, then add the black beans. Mash with a fork or pulse the mixture, leaving some larger chunks of beans.
- Form into patties– about 1/3 cup of mixture in each.
- To bake: Place patties on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 10 minutes on each side, 20 minutes total. To grill: Place patties on greased aluminum foil and grill 8 minutes on each side. Generally, black bean burgers should grill on medium-high heat about 350°F – 400°F.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.