Baked Crispy Potato Chicken
This recipe is a healthier version of “fried” chicken, without losing the crispiness and flavor that we all love!
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into chunks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup dry instant mashed potato flakes
- Place chicken pieces, buttermilk, bay leaves, garlic, salt, and black pepper into a large resealable plastic bag and knead bag several times to mix buttermilk and seasonings with chicken. Squeeze air from the bag, seal, and refrigerate at least 2 hours (up to overnight) to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place a wire cooking rack into a roasting pan.
- Drain marinade from bag and discard bay leaves. Mix Parmesan cheese, flour, garlic powder and paprika in a small bowl. Add Parmesan cheese mixture to chicken in the bag, close the bag, and shake to thoroughly coat chicken pieces with the mixture.
- Whisk egg and water in a shallow bowl. Place potato flakes into a separate shallow bowl. Dip floured chicken pieces in egg mixture; roll pieces in potato flakes to thoroughly coat. Arrange the chicken pieces on wire rack.
- Bake chicken for 15 minutes and turn pieces over on rack; continue baking until chicken is no longer pink inside and coating is browned and crisp, 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, here is our Super Healthy Dipping Sauce for inspiration.