Turkey & Leek Shepherd’s Pie
Shepherd’s pie is often made with lamb or mutton, but it lends itself well to leftover turkey and mashed potatoes from the Thanksgiving table. Easy and delicious recipe to upgrade your leftovers from thanksgiving dinner!
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, well washed and thinly sliced
- 1½ cups thinly sliced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or ½ teaspoon dried, rubbed
- 2 ⅓ cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups diced cooked turkey, or chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- To prepare filling: Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks and carrots and cook, stirring, until the leeks soften, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute more.
- Add flour and rosemary and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour starts to turn light brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens and the carrots are barely tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add turkey (or chicken) and peas and season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a deep 10-inch pie pan or other 2-quart baking dish and set aside.
- Spread the leftover mashed potatoes on top of the turkey mixture. With the back of a spoon, make decorative swirls. Set the dish on a baking sheet and bake until the potatoes and filling are heated through and the top is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes.