Sweet Potato Stuffed Shells
These Sweet Potato Stuffed Shells are a filling, nutrient-rich, vegetarian dinner option. They’re full of protein and vegetables. With a creamy and delicious filling, kids will be asking for seconds!
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 12 ounce package of jumbo shells
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Cook sweet potatoes in the oven for 50-60 minutes or place in the microwave for 8-10 minutes. Scrape the sweet potato into a bowl and mash with a fork until smooth. Let it cool to warm room temperature.
- Cook the jumbo pasta shells according to package directions and drain.
- Finely chop spinach. In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan, garlic, spinach, egg, salt and pepper and fresh lemon zest. Stir well.
- Stuff the cooked pasta shells with the sweet potato/ricotta mixture and place them in a lightly greased 9X13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle Parmesan, if you like.
- Bake the shells for 18-20 minutes, until they are hot all the way through.
- Serve with our healthy marinara sauce.