Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
Get the fiesta started with this delicious nutrient-packed version of a Mexican favorite! Happy Cinco!
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
- 3 cups grated sweet potatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. fresh chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and season with salt, if desired. Cook, covered,
- Add sweet potatoes, cumin, and oregano; Cover and cook for
10 minutes, stirring often. Stir in corn and beans, cook for 1 minute, or until heated through. Add the cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread 1/2 cup filling on one-half of each tortilla, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges. Fold tortillas to enclose filling. (If a tortilla’s edges don’t stick together, brush some oil along bottom inside edge.)
- Coat large skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Cook quesadillas in skillet 2 to 3 minutes, turning once.
- Serve it warm topped with salsa and guacamole.