Spinach & Mushroom Pasta
This is a clean, simple and super flavorful recipe that is quick to make and doesn’t require too much of your “chef skills”. It’s a great option for a vegetarian main dish or to be served as a side for a roast beef or grilled fish dinner.
· 12 oz. whole wheat pasta (whatever shape you like)
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 cup onion, chopped
· 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
· 4 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced (shiitake, or cemini or, portobello etc.)
· 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
· 2 cups milk
· 2 cups fresh spinach, rinsed well & chopped
· 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
· 1 teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper and freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- In large non-stick pan over med-high heat, cook garlic, onion& thyme in oil for about a minute.
- Add mushrooms, cook about 8 minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms begin to brown& their juices begin to run.
- Sprinkle with flour & stir about one minute, then slowly begin to add the milk, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in the spinach, basil, salt & pepper and cook until the spinach begins to wilt. Toss sauce with cooked pasta & grate fresh Parmesan cheese over individual servings.