Spaghetti Squash Bolognese
This spaghetti squash Bolognese will leave your mouth watering AND it’s so easy to make!
You can roast the squash ahead of time to make you life even easier!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey or beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ⅛ tsp. of paprika
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3 oz. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Optional garnishes: grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil, and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half length-wise, (if it’s difficult, you can microwave it for a minute or two to soften it up). Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the squash cut-side down on the baking sheet, and roast for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the ground meat and diced onion to the pan, using a wooden spoon to break it up and stir around. Season the meat with ⅛ tsp. each: salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook, stirring, until meat is almost cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- To the pan, add the can of diced tomatoes and half a small can, (3 oz.) of tomato paste. Season with the oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes. Stir, allow to come to a boil, and then reduce to medium-low heat. The longer you can let this simmer on low the better, but simmer at least 10 minutes.
- When the squash is done, remove from the oven and turn the broiler on low. Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash so that it resembles noodles.
- Top with a couple spoonfuls of the Bolognese, and sprinkle ¼ cup mozzarella over each squashes half. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is golden.
- Finish with fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese if desired.