Oatmeal-Chocolate Snack Cakes
These delightful treats have a soft, tender crumb that harks back to old-fashioned snack cakes from the grocery store. For little kids, but the big ones might want to dig-in too!
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of a 9-inch square baking pan with a foil strip long enough to overhang on 2 opposite sides. Spray the foil lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, oats, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; set aside. Whisk the butter, egg, brown sugar and applesauce in a large bowl until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until barely mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan. Bake until the cake is light brown around the edges and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Use the foil overhang to lift the cake out of the pan and let cool completely on the rack. Invert onto a plate and peel the foil off. Re-invert the cake onto a cutting board, cut into 12 pieces and serve.