Lemony Chicken and Orzo Soup
Here is a different spin on the classic Chicken Noodle Soup!
This hearty and healthy chicken and orzo soup, flavored with lots of bright lemon, will satisfy you any night of the week.
- 1 bone-in chicken breast
- 4 carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lemon
- 4 sprig fresh dill
- 4 sprig fresh parsley
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 stalk celery
- ¾ c. orzo
- 8 oz. snap peas
- Place the chicken, carrots, onion, and lemon in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Using kitchen twine, tie the dill and parsley together and nestle it among the chicken and vegetables. Add the broth and 2 cups water, cover, and cook until the chicken is cooked through and easily shreds, 7 to 8 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.
- Thirty minutes before serving, transfer the chicken to a bowl and the carrots and onion to a cutting board. Discard the lemon and herbs. Strain the liquid (if desired) and return to the slow cooker.
- Cut the celery into 1/4-inch pieces and add it to the slow cooker along with the orzo. Cover and cook on high until the orzo is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the carrots into rounds and cut the onion into 1/4-inch pieces. Shred the chicken into large pieces, discarding the bones.
- Just before serving, return the chicken, carrots, and onion to the slow cooker along with the snap peas and cook for 3 minutes. Serve with thin fresh sliced lemon and finely chopped parsley, if desired.