Healthy Turkey Sloppy Joe
If you are looking for a new dinner idea that’s healthy, quick to make, and popular with your kids… These Sloppy Joes are it! They are piled high in whole wheat buns make a fast, fun, and nourishing weeknight dinner. Attention; a LOT of napkins will be required!
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- ½ medium onion
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-lb of ground turkey
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 ½ teaspoon of chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 6 medium whole wheat hamburger buns
- Peel and finely chop carrot. Finely chop celery and onion. Mince garlic.
- In a large pan over medium heat, sauté the carrots, celery, and onion in a swirl of olive oil until translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the ground turkey and break it up with a spoon. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until the turkey is no longer pink.
- Add the tomato sauce, vinegar, mustard, honey, and chili powder to the pain. Stir well to combine, then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and simmer five minutes more, uncovered, until the sauce is thickened and flavorful.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then spoon the hot filling onto whole wheat buns, and serve.