Healthy Pumpkin Spice Cake
All the flavor without all the calories, this Healthy Pumpkin Spice Cake is just what you need this season. Get your forks ready and let the Pumpkin Spice-craze begin!
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 4-ounce cream cheese, low fat
- ½ cup (8oz) Greek yogurt, vanilla
- ¼ cup “unsifted” powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8X8 inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine your melted coconut oil and pumpkin puree. Do this first so the coconut oil is evenly dispersed. Add you room temperature egg, vanilla and maple syrup. Stir until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir just until combined. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Frosting: Combine cold cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and powdered sugar. Beat until smooth. Frost cake.
(Note: The frosting won’t be as stiff as normal frosting because there’s less sugar to thicken it. If you desire the frosting to be thicker simply store the cake in the fridge).