Crispy Parmesan Quinoa Cakes
These Crispy Quinoa Cakes are flavored with fresh herbs, garlic, and Parmesan cheese and then pan-fried in olive oil until golden brown on each side. A great, easy and delicious side dish for dinner!
- 1.5 cups raw quinoa*
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped oregano
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- Olive oil, for pan frying
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- To cook the quinoa, rinse it well in a strainer with cold running water for a minute, then place in a saucepan with 3 cups water and a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, reduce to a simmer over medium low heat, and cook for 15 minutes until the water is absorbed. Fluff the quinoa with a fork or spatula, and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the scallion, garlic, Parmesan cheese, parsley, oregano, and panko bread crumbs, 1/2 tsp. of salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper to the quinoa, and toss to combine. Then add the beaten eggs, and stir until the quinoa is moistened.
- Using a 1/4-cup measuring cup, pack the quinoa mixture very firmly into the cup and then tap the cup on a flat surface to get the quinoa cake to release. Repeat with the remaining quinoa mixture.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan over medium heat, then fry the quinoa cakes for 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Remove the quinoa cakes to a paper towel to drain. Serve immediately