Creamy and Light Potato Soup
Cold days and nights call for warm dinner ideas! Try this light, yet creamy, potato and cauliflower soup that has a deep flavor and fewer calories than other potato soups.
- 5 medium russet potatoes
- 1 pound cauliflower, cut into florets (about 1/2 head)
- 3 medium carrots
- 6 small of white mushrooms
- 3 stalk of green onion
- 2 clove of garlic
- 4 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose of flour
- 2 cup of milk
- 2 cup of low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 ounce of shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel and chop potatoes; shred carrots and dice mushrooms.
- Place all veggies in a large pot (including the cauliflower florets). Add enough water to cover the veggies and bring to a boil. Cook until veggies have become tender; approximately 10 minutes.
- Add 2-3 cups of the potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and mushrooms to a blender; blend until smooth, adding cooking liquid as needed. Set aside.
- Slice green onions and mince garlic. Heat a large saucepan over medium and add butter. Once butter is melted, add onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and onion powder; mix to combine. Continue to cook over medium heat, until onions have softened.
- Add flour and stir continuously until thick and bubbly. Then add the milk and broth very slowly until it forms a thick white sauce.
- Pour pureed vegetables into the white sauce and then add the rest of the cooked veggies. Stir to combine.
- Add cheese and stir into the soup. Serve warm.