Expert tip for getting your kids to eat beans: Turn beans into something familiar, like chicken nuggets. Very similar to a classic falafel, the difference is, you shape these into chicken nuggets-looking shapes!
- 1 – 15 oz. can of 5 chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- ½ medium onion
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper, ground
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs
- Drain and rinse chickpeas; mash with a pastry blender or fork. Slice onion.
- Place the onion, parsley, and garlic into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped and well blended.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the egg, cumin, salt, pepper, lemon juice, baking powder and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add onion mixture and egg mixture to the beans; stir to combine.
- Stir in breadcrumbs little by little until dough is dry enough to shape easily; shape into nuggets.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet. Cook nuggets until heated through and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil as needed.
- Serve immediately.