Chard and White Bean Soup
We know how cold these past few days have been… Not fun!
Here is the recipe of a hearty vegetable soup will warm you up from the inside out.
- 1 bunch Swiss chard (about 1 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 quart fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
- Rinse chard well and trim off and discard discolored stem ends; tear leaves from stems. Thinly slice stems crosswise; cut leaves into 1-inch pieces.
- Pour oil into a 4- to 5-quart pan over medium heat. Add chard stems and garlic; stir often until stems are limp, about 10 minutes. Add chard leaves, vegetables, broth, and 3 cups water (see notes). Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until chard and carrots are tender to bite, 10 minutes longer.
- Add beans and stir occasionally until hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in 1/2-cup Parmesan cheese and add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls.