Craving Italian food but not eating meat? We got you covered!
- 2 large heads cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced
- ½-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/3 cups marinara (use our Healthy Marinara Recipe)
- 1 4-ounce ball fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced into 8 rounds
- ¼ cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves for serving (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil. (The foil is optional, but will make for much easier cleanup.)
- Prep your cauliflower “steaks.” Remove any leaves and trim the stem end of the cauliflower heads, making sure to leave the cores intact.
- Using a large, very sharp knife, slice two 1-inch thick “steaks” from the center of each head of cauliflower. Reserve the outer slices for another use.
- Carefully transfer the cauliflower steaks to the prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper, and a good pinch of kosher salt. Brush this mixture on both sides of each steak.
- Transfer the cauliflower to the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Carefully flip the “steaks” and roast for another 20 minutes until tender and golden brown.
- In a bowl, combine the panko and Parmesan. Briefly set aside.
- Pre-heat the broiler on high.
- Top each cauliflower steak with 1/3 cup marinara sauce and 2 mozzarella rounds. Transfer to the broiler and broil until the cheese is just melted and starting to bubble, about 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from the cauliflower from the broiler and sprinkle with the panko mixture. Return to the broiler just until the breadcrumbs are nicely browned.
- Serve immediately garnished with fresh basil (if using.)