Butternut Squash “Mac ‘n Cheese” with Broccoli
Kids will love our healthy version of mac ‘n cheese! They won’t even know there’s squash in it!
- 1 cup of cubed butternut squash
- 3 cup of broccoli, florets
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- ¼ cup of unsalted butter
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 2 cup of milk
- ¼ teaspoon of powdered nutmeg
- ½ cup of shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- ¼ cup of shredded yellow cheddar
- 12 oz. of pasta (short shapes work better, whatever pasta you prefer to make Mac ‘n Cheese with)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place butternut squash and broccoli florets on a cookie sheet (don’t mix them up). Drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While your veggies bake, cook pasta and drain out water.
- In large pan over medium-high heat add butter and garlic. Let melt. Add flour and whisk in until smooth. Cook for 2 minutes and then add milk and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally. Add nutmeg and Monterrey Jack cheese and stir until smooth.
- In a blender, add milk mixture and cooked butternut squash. Blend until smooth. Pour over cooked pasta and stir until coated, mix the broccoli.
- Add the cheddar and serve!