Black Beans and Rice Bowls
We all love a good bowl of beans or chili in the fall. Kids feel like champs being able to choose their own toppings so provide lots of fall garnishes on the side and let them top their own dinners. YUM!
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked in 4 cups water
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup low sodium vegetable stock
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
Topping ideas: spinach, radishes, roasted broccoli, avocado, red onion, shredded cheese, cherry tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, etc.
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of oil to the water. Stir in the rice then turn to a simmer and cover. Cook rice for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile dice toppings such as onion and avocado. Shred cheese and chop cilantro. Place each topping in small serving dishes.
- Drain and rinse two cans of black beans and place them in a pot over medium heat. Add broth, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Stir together then reduce heat to low.
- When rice is done cooking and beans are hot, place all ingredients out for the family to start creating their own bowls.
*This also makes great leftovers for lunch. And you can freeze the rice and use at another time for a quick rice meal.