Bean and Veggie Chili Recipe
This have-it-your-way chili can be made vegetarian, with ground turkey or with ground beef. Enjoy the slightly sweet flavor added by the carrot.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef or extra-lean ground turkey, or 1 10-ounce package frozen meatless crumbles, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and sliced thinly
- 1 15½-ounce can dark or light kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 14½-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 package (1.25oz) of your favorite brand of Chili Seasoning Mix
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly, optional
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- ½ cup fat-free sour cream
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Combine the oil, meat (or turkey or meatless crumbles), onion and garlic in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook and stir until the onion is wilted and the meat is lightly browned. About 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the optional ones and the sour cream. Stir well, cover and reduce heat; simmer gently for 20 minutes. Adjust the chili powder, oregano and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with green onions, cilantro, cheese and/or sour cream.