Baked Zucchini Casserole
You’ll love the balanced nutrition in this dish: Eggs, yogurt and cheese add protein. Rice and whole grain Chex cereal provides carbs. And zucchini brings all the vitamins and the extra fiber.
- ¾ cup white rice, short grain
- 12-ounce Colby-jack cheese
- 6 medium zucchinis
- 1 ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup of plain yogurt
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 4 large egg
- ½ teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- ½ cup of fresh chives, chopped
- 1 ½ cup rice Chex cereal
- 2 tablespoons of butter, salted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Cook rice as directed on package, set aside. Grate the cheese.
- Grate zucchini and place in colander. Toss with 1 teaspoon of salt and allow to sit in colander over a bowl to allow excess moisture to drain. After 10 minutes, squeeze more moisture out and then add zucchini to a large mixing bowl (you will need about 4 cups of zucchini).
- Add sour cream, yogurt, baking powder, and eggs to zucchini and mix well. Add cooked rice, 2 cups of the cheese, chopped chives, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and Italian seasoning. Mix well.
- Pour into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Crush the cereal and melt the butter. Toss together; sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until heated through.