Baby’s First Smash/Birthday Cake
If you’re looking for a healthy cake without added sugars or oils for baby’s first birthday, this is your recipe! This cake is cute, tasty, whole grain and perfectly smashable.
- ½ cup sliced peaches peeled
- 1 banana
- ½ cup fruit puree
- ½ cup buttermilk or milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice (let sit for 5 minutes to make “buttermilk”)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup organic cream
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup optional for guests
- Blend fruit together in a food processor until liquefied. This gave us 1/2 cup of fruit puree.
- Whisk your fruit puree, milk, egg, and vanilla together.
- In a separate bowl, combine whole wheat flour, baking powder, soda, and salt.
- Slowly pour your liquid ingredients into the dry and mix until the dry ingredients are all wet.
- Pour your batter into a greased 6-inch round pan (Double ingredients to make a double layer).
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, or until you can stick a knife through the center and it comes out clean.
- Frost your cake or cupcakes and top with fruit.